Support for paging in squeak.

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Feb 6 12:44:18 UTC 2004

Hi Tobias and all!

Tobias Nurmiranta <spyck at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm interested in looking at different memory models for Squeak. Are there
> any work done on using paging techniques for the Squeak VM? For example
> to support larger images (persistent memories), or for garbage collection
> algorithms?

Stephen Pair has been working on stuff like this in his ChangoVM
(including using BerkeleyDB as a backend) and I have also heard
references to something called LOOM being thrown around by the gurus -
but AFAIK that is not something Squeak specific.

Furthermore I guess Magma and say GOODS (not Squeak native though) are
close to this, even though we generally like to call them OODBs.

And finally, ImageSegments are of course an interesting Squeak
technology for memory paging. I use them a lot, but not yet for managing
large amounts of data - rather like a very simple persistence solution.
They are very fast to read, but does force something similar to a full
GC to write. Still quite fast.

Well, perhaps someone else can tell you more. I guess John McIntosh is
our current ObjectMemory guru. :)

> Regards,	Tobias

PS. Kul att se ytterligare någon från Sverige på listan. :)