forcing snapshots and event recording

knightofsadcountenance knightofsadcountenance at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 14:12:04 UTC 2004

Hello!
I'll try to offer some suggestions,

> 1.0) No matter how the user quits--menu options or closing window--
I would
> like to save a snapshot of the image named with the date and time
(withou
> user prompting or override).
>
> 1.1) When started, I would like Squeak to load the most recently
saved
> image (again without user propmpting or override).
>
> 1.2) I would like this forced saving to be controlled with a
preference
> option so that Squeak can be returned to normal behavior after the
study.

Look at message like "#snapshot:andQuit:".  It takes true/false
parameters and if you browse that method you can probably abort the
logic there that pays attention to these and "force" the save every
time with your timestamp even. so you don't actually snapshot, you
save as a new version (#saveImageInFileNamed:) then quit without the
snapshot. But this would catch the any user quits; or you would think
so. I haven't exhaustively tested.

My suggestion for the automatic loading of the most recent would be
to archive out-dated images into another directory, so that only the
most recent is at the same default directory as your VM.  Then, as
you can imagine on the platforms I've used Squeak on - when you have
one image the VM is at least clever enough to load that one instead
of that annoying prompt.

To make this a preference I guess you could have a Preferences at:
#forceTimestampSnapshots or something and for that method
(#snapshot:andQuit:) just have a big #ifTrue:ifFalse: depending on
that Pref.

> 2.0) I would like to record all events without a visible
> EventRecorderMorph and without having to turn on/off recording or
save by
> hand (no prompting or override)
>
> 2.1) I would like for recording to start when Squeak starts or when
> someone enters a project and to stop recording and save as they
leave a
> project or quit Squeak.
>
> 2.2) As with the image snapshots, I want the tapes to be saved with
date
> and time (and possibly project name) as a name (no prompting or
override).

> 2.3) Also like the snapshots, I want the forced record to be
toggled with
> a preference.

no ideas;

> 3.0) I would like all instant messaging/chat to be saved with date
and
> time (and no prompting or override).
>
> 3.1) This big-brother feature can also be turned off using
preferences.

instant messaging? squeamish package?

> The above list is not a shopping list; I do not expect others to do
the
> work for me (though, I wouldn't turn away the programming help of an
> experienced Squeaker). Instead, I am writing for practical advice
and
> guidance on how I should try to tackle these requirements.

I would put together some .cs for that method to demonstrate, but I
actually don't even have a version of squeak available to me at the
moment.

Best of luck-
Webb McDonald