What I'd love to see in Squeak

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Feb 8 01:19:48 UTC 2004

jim <jigme1968 at tom.com> wrote:
> What prevents me from learning Squeak(but not other dialects) is its lack of
> tutorials. Though I understand why, it's really troublesome.

Are you aware of the Tutorials area on the swiki?  There are quite a lot
of tutorials there to help beginners.

	"Introductions to Squeak"
	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/377

If you are aware then I wonder what you are really missing.  If you are
not aware then we definitely need to update the introductory material.
This would be a good thing to link to in the Welcome to Squeak window.

My impression has been that for years now Squeak has plenty of raw
material to help out new users.  If I wanted to try and make Squeak
easier for new users, these things look more promissing than writing
more tutorials:

	- the content and organization of the initial image
	- the organization of www.squeak.org
	- the organization of the swiki

Or if writing is what someone feels like doing, it seems more productive
to pick one area of Squeak and document it.  In particular, going
through the image and adding class comments and example methods would be
extremely helpful to new users.

-Lex