[FIX][VM] gcc 3.3 'float bug' cured ( [er][et] also seems to fix the update 5501 crash on Linux )

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Sun Feb 8 17:53:40 UTC 2004

Am 08.02.2004 um 19:12 schrieb lewis at mail.msen.com:

> A stock Unix VM crashes when loading update 5501, which re-creates the
> special objects array. Ned's patch for the "float bug" appears to cure
> this problem, in addition to whatever issue had originally been
> reported.

I really dubt that. As much as I understand it, the float patch
has nothing to do with this: Just recreating the VM-Sources
with VMMaker is enough to cure the bug.

(All other plattforms use the 3.6 VMMaker sources and do *not*
crash on 5501).

(I think the cause for the crash is Andreas' experimental Ephemeron
implementation, which is part of Ian's 3.6-g, but not harvested
for VMMaker).

I'd really like to see a official 3.6 Unix VM. That would cure the
bug and would stop everybody to waste more time on this.

       Marcus

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de