[ANN] New version of SmaCC-Development on SM: 1.4

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Feb 9 09:10:46 UTC 2004

On Feb 9, 2004, at 12:18 AM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> Am 08.02.2004 um 23:11 schrieb Markus Gaelli:
>

>> I also put Alain and Marcus as Co-Maintainers on SM, though I'd
>> _LOVE_ to see some
>> "at least all journeyers" or "all masters" button for that on SM in
>> order to ease collaboration
>> between us. What do you think?
>
> I think this is a good idea. Having maintainers is nice,  but it
> really sucks as soon as
> the maintainer does not have the time to do the job: He's a single
> point of failure.
>
> We see this nicely now with the Unix VM or with Scamper: Just
> explaining a thousand
> times why something doesn't work (and that the maintainer will sure
> fix it soon) takes
> more time than just fixing it for real.

+1

The worst case with this (someone puts out a bogus release that we have
to remove) is much more acceptable (and less likely) than the worst
case currently, which is that a crucial fix takes forever to get into a
package because the maintainer is unavailable or asleep at the wheel.

The technical barriers to releasing package versions should be fairly
low, and we should let social pressures take care of the rest.