Using Squeak for general desktop development

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Feb 10 08:38:49 UTC 2004

Hi philippe

to present Smalltalk you do not need a native widget toolkit. Just open
Squeak, and you get a windowing environment with debugger, compiler,
code browsers....in a platform independent way.

Have a look at the free online books.
Online Free Books at
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/WebPages/FreeBooks.html

On 9 févr. 04, at 19:34, Mike Flippin wrote:

> Hi, I'm a Computer Science major having to prepare a presentation on
> Smalltalk for a programming language class and need a Smalltalk VM for
> that. I haven't been able to find any documentation on Squeak that
> shows how to use it to make desktop software that uses native GUI
> toolkits like QT, GTK+, Carbon and MFC.
>
> Is this possible? I found a listing for GTK+ bindings on the GTK
> website. GNU Smalltalk 2.1 doesn't compile on either Fedora Linux or
> MacOS X so I'm SOL there. So that left me with Squeak. Is there any
> place I can find how to use native toolkits?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Prof. Dr. Stephane DUCASSE  	[ | ]
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
  "if you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you
  do different? ...  especially if,  by doing something different,
  today might not be your last day on earth" Calvin&Hobbes

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html