Using Squeak for general desktop development

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Tue Feb 10 10:47:15 UTC 2004

Am 10.02.2004 um 11:34 schrieb Mike Flippin:

> I would be satisfied with just being able to open a small GUI app
> written for Squeak without the whole Squeak UI loading. Just have the
> Window show up and be able to point to it and say "This is a GUI
> example written in Smalltalk!" Is this possible? If there's any good
> FAQ or anything that addresses these sort of topics please let me know
> as I'll go there rather than take up people's time :)

Squeak is not your normal booring IDE. It's a lot more, and it might be
good to show this in the talk.

I guess you will use something like PowerPoint for doing the whole
presentation. Why not use Squeak instead?
Then you have all you want: You have a real, working, live Demo of
Squeak, without leaving the medium that
you use.

e.g. have a look at the Squeak Demo that I did at the european Ruby
conference last year.

Squeak Image used: http://www.ira.uka.de/~marcus/SqueakDemo4RubyCon.zip.
Screenshots of the talk:
http://www.approximity.com/euruko03/slides/marcus/squeakdemoGIF/1.html

You are welcome to reuse this! It has everything that a small demo
needs: What isSqueak, the History , a
short introduction into the language, and so on. But be sure to look at
the "living" version. The GIFs are
just for those who don't have Squeak installed.

And you can be sure that this is much more fun than doing powerpoint
slides.

       Marcus

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de