Using Squeak for general desktop development

Mike Flippin webmaster at blindmindseye.com
Tue Feb 10 12:09:04 UTC 2004

So basically your goal with the GTK bindings is to provide the ability
to make a Smalltalk GUI app outside of the Squeak environment? I've been
reading some bits and pieces about how Squeak was written and am
wondering how hard it would be to make the Squeak VM behave similar to a
typical VM so that you could run on the commandline say..... "Squeak
myApp.st" to run your GTK/Squeak apps. Providing both the standard
Squeak UI and that ability would seem to me to be the best way to make
Squeak popular and accessible to those of us more familiar with
languages like Java, C and Python and their respective environments.

Have you checked up on the work already done by the GNU team on
Smalltalk/GTK?