Zurgle as default Squeak visual interface? YES!

Jim Benson jb at speed.net
Thu Feb 12 04:06:12 UTC 2004

Hi Avi,

The licensing issues are the same for all of the free theme  interfaces. My
understanding at the time that I wrote the code was that one is prohibited
from both using the graphics *and* the graphic format layouts of the various
open source versions without the consent of Major League Baseball or some
other sanctioning body (I didn't read the fine print very closely). In
practice people don't much care; but the producer of the content almost
always has some control of the use even in the open source world.

The Zurgle graphics are stolen straight from screen scrapes of a Windows XP
box. I assumed that as long as I was running on a Windows XP box, I would be
ok with those, though I'm sure that this is a violation of something or
other. I don't use any MS icons; this is strictly forbidden by MS. For the
same reason, I didn't pay much attention to the fact that I use various MS
fonts that are available on the Windows XP box using Andreas Raabs importer.
I would assume an analagous situation if I would make up a Mac OS theme in
that it would be ok to run it on a Mac box.

I'm not sure how Visual Works handles the licensing of such things in their
product. As you know, they have all the looks available for all supported
platforms all the time. You hit the switch, and your app can change from
Windows to Mac looks.

The Zurgle images are similar to Sawmill in their layout, but have been
changed around to protect the innocent ;) The only reason that I did not
make theme importers was the threats of their "open source proprietarinism",
though I must say I wasn't interested in themes other than the platform I'm
forced to use.

Jim