[RFC] OOVM & Resilient

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Feb 12 20:53:11 UTC 2004

On 12 févr. 04, at 21:24, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

> Stef already mentioned BlockMirrors and the possibility of adding more
> mirrors (which is how reflection is done in Self). I think it is not a
> matter of it being "hard" but rather of the developer's focus. Just
> like adding native widgets to Squeak isn't hard but is also not being
> done.

yes.
Lars is aware of that :) as he was in the self team. Basically you
still need some
cooperation from the VM so that you get the right entry points in your
mirror.

In a squeakish context (or may resilient we will see)
We may try to do the following:
	- take island of lex as a testbed,
	- break it as much as possible
	- everytimes we can break it, we try to come up with a new MOP entry
(may be
	modelled as a mirror) in the context of a minimal squeak kernel with
nearly no reflection

I think that the result could be a mop targeted as security/sandboxing
with really nice properties.
Something more fun than trace generating.

stef

Lukas our clever astrophysicist started to think about that (ok he is
just forced to follow astrophysic lectures)