Towards Improving Bug Reporting and Harvesting

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Thu Feb 12 22:58:32 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 15:46, ducasse wrote:
> just some thoughts after harvesting during 30 min.
> We need a way to
>
> 	- really sort/identify packages.
> 	- we need a way to link BUG and FIX because something a thread with a
> BUG does not contain a
> 	FIX but the FIX somewhere else.
>
> I only have problems no solutions :_)  (a lot of researchers would
> loved me :))))

These exact problems are caused specifically by using email for our
tranaction mechanism.  It's exactly what I've been fighting lately.  You
will find a bot on #squeak right now that I have running to test my
latest algorithm for extracting the information from the subject line.
The idea being that other people can probably come up with even more
perverse combinations that I could.  But I'm really tired of fighting
this battle and am thinking more and more strongly about eliminating the
source of the problem.

Ken