[RFC] OOVM & Resilient

SmallSqueak smallsqueak at rogers.com
Fri Feb 13 02:19:06 UTC 2004

Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 February 2004 22:34, smallsqueak.net wrote:
> > > [Little Smalltalk]
> >
> >     I tried a version on your site some time ago but the image
> >     could not be loaded on Win32 platform.
> >
> >     Do you happen to have a pair of image+vm for Win32 that is
> >     working on one of your obsolete your machines ;-)
>
> No, I tried compiling it with CygWin back in 2000 (a version
> without the web gui) and never got it to work. It shouldn't
> be very hard to make it run in Windows since it only uses
> very general C library functions.

	I think I wait for Squat. In the meantime Resilient
	looks like something rather interesting.

> >     Is it available somewhere (I mean Neo Smalltalk ;-)
>
> The current 16 bit version belongs to my client and won't be
> released (all selectors are in Portuguese so it wouldn't be
> very interesting for most people here anyway), but the next
> version (36 bits) will be Free Software with the MIT license.
> Since it is being developed together with the hardware, in
> practice that won't help very much unless I implement an
> emulator for my hardware on the PC and Mac. I am considering
> doing just that in Slang.
>
> The closest thing to a Neo Smalltalk page is
> http://www.merlintec.com:8080/Software which is so bad that I
> decided not to include this link in my previous message.

	Thanks for the info and the link.

	I like the expression 'Simpler Self' very much.

	I think it's even a tiny bit better than 'Small talk'.

	(This reminds me of a posting on c.l.st, something like
	'Is BIGtalk an improved and better version of Smalltalk')

> Since this thread is about really tiny Smalltalks, I am
> afraid that the
> 36 bit version won't be as interesting as the 16 bit one.

	I am more interested in the 36 bit version and it will
	take more than even 36 bits to arrive at the answer
	for The Last Question.

	If I can find a C2F translator then it's not too much
	to port to my friend's PDP-10 ;-)

> >     How hard would it be to add reflection to Resilient ?
>
> Stef already mentioned BlockMirrors and the possibility of
> adding more mirrors (which is how reflection is done in
> Self). I think it is not a matter of it being "hard" but
> rather of the developer's focus. Just like adding native
> widgets to Squeak isn't hard but is also not being done.

	I agree. It's just a matter of focussing.

	Cheers,

	SmallSqueak