[FIX] ScamperFix-gk

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Fri Feb 13 08:43:25 UTC 2004

Am 13.02.2004 um 09:24 schrieb Avi Bryant:

> On Feb 13, 2004, at 12:05 AM, Marcus Denker wrote:
>

>> Am 13.02.2004 um 04:51 schrieb John Pfersich:
>>
>>> You'll probably have better luck than I did trying to contact
>>> Tansel. I've
>>> sent him three emails and never got a reply.
>>
>> We should register all packages for "full" (that is: all the stuff
>> that was
>> in 3.5) on SqueakSource, and add all the guides as developers (and,
>> of course, the official maintainer if there is one).
>
> People should of course do what they are comfortable with, but out of
> academic interest, how is this different from each guide maintaining a
> separate repository with their own versions of various packages?  Does
> having write access to some central storage location make it more
> "official"? Technologically it doesn't matter (Monticello is perfectly
> happy for everyone to have their own repositories), but clearly there
> are social issues as well.  Would it be any different if there were a
> centralized aggregator that provided information about versions in
> various repositories, but didn't actually store them?

Then people would need to set up these places, or not? And how? I think
you would need either ftp (which is disabled everywhere).
Or a http-put capabal server (with correct authentication set up),
which nobody has. So I uploaded the stuff to my website via sftp.
But that's a pain, even with rsync, as either I need to trigger upload
by hand or wait till cron takes care of it (which is not that often).

And if I have done all this, what happens if somebody wants to apply a
simple patch? Either he mails me the mcz. That's work for
me. Or he needs to find a place for storing the files... of course not
mine, as I can't give my passwd away.

This is just that bit of too much work that keeps people from just
doing things.

It's much easier to just use a service that provides  everything.

Another part of why I like SqueakSource is, I guess, really only a
problem with my "centralised" mindset regarding code
repositories.

> It would be very interesting to me if a centralized repository system
> developed even if there were no technical need for one (of course
> presumably the ability to save new versions while offline, at least,
> would still get used).

Yes, of course It's great to just download a mcz. Much simpler than
CVS. And very nice for offline use.

     Marcus

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de