VM 3.6g

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Sat Feb 14 03:43:13 UTC 2004

Ned Konz wrote:

>On Friday 13 February 2004 4:30 pm, Alan Grimes wrote:
>

>>With all the chatter on the VM work, I was inspired to rebuild my
>>sources... (I'm running a bleeding edge leenooks kernel ATM)
>>

>Are you using the latest VMMaker and VM code (from SqueakMap and SF CVS,
>respectively)?

Yep and on linux 2.6.3-RC2-mm1
(note, 2.6.x kernels are still very unstable, even the snapshot I'm
using required me to tweak some of the header files. )

>You should get the latest VMMaker code from SqueakMap, and then get the VM
>sources from the SourceForge CVS (get the 'ned-branch' branch).
>

 > I ran into an issue with the AIO plugin...

>>Apparently it needs some extra include paths... I managed to make a
>>Makefile.inc that fixes it.
>>

>What extra include paths? I haven't noticed this.

Its one of the packages on squeakmap...
the path I added was

platforms/unix/plugins/AioPlugin/

>What is in your Makefile.inc, or is it private?

Attached...

 >> The results of using the optimization flags from MPlayer as make XFLAGS

>>(in conjunction with the optimizations above,) seem to be most
>>impressive, If I'm not missing something, I've achieved a 168k squeak!
>>

>What optimization flags are you using?

URK! It seems that the old vmmaker.config I was using was more than a
little broken.
My latest builds are in-line with my existing VM, so sorry to get your
hopes up. =(

>>What plugins did you make internal?

For simplicity's sake, I make all internal...
I really don't know all the ins-and-outs of why one would want an
external plugin... =\