Binaries in Monticello

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Feb 14 07:56:28 UTC 2004

On 13 févr. 04, at 22:44, Colin Putney wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2004, at 3:18 PM, ducasse wrote:
>

>> On 13 févr. 04, at 20:42, Avi Bryant wrote:
>>
>>> Right now all this does is build ClassDefinitions and
>>> MethodDefinitions from the associated PackageInfo,
>>
>> hi avi
>>
>> don't you have PoolVariable too?
>> How do they are managed? Can I say that a package can install a Pool
>> or a Global?
>
> Hi Stéphane,
>
> I very much wanted to include definitions for Globals, Pools,
> InstanceVariables, ClassVariables, Initialization Expressions etc. -
> all the stuff from the ANSI spec - when we were working out the code
> model for Monticello.

This would be realllllllllyyyyy good. I know that you know all the
stuff we could do then :).
Automatic split of packages and other analysis.

> The problem is that Squeaks current runtime system and development
> tools there's no way to annotate these things as belonging to a
> particular package. This is why I'm interested in the KCP and browser
> rewrites - once we have a way to annotate variables, we can have a
> much richer code model for Monticello.

I see.
Ginsu has that and it would be good to be able to have that too. I
think that KCP is cleaning the run-time while
what we need in that case is real package holding definition objects
which lazzily forward to run-time entities where they are there
(as in Ginsu). So I would suggest to make package not only a facade for
the system but introduce real objects.
This also means that we need a browser that manipulates these entities
(as in Ginsu). But we could esaily said that class categories have been
promoted first class objects = Package.

If you have another solution propose one. I would like to know how we
could do that otherwise (ie without compromising the
current run-time semantics and in this elegant way). I really think
that the semantics model as in ginsu is simple, obvious and nice.

Stef