[VM] new LibMPEG?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Feb 15 04:31:33 UTC 2004

Well the source tree we have on the squeak side has some changes:

a) support to compile under macintosh os-9
b) support for no p-threads
c) removal of the decss code
d) removal of a AC-3 sound enhancement  usually licensed by dolby.
e) support for macintosh screen bit/byte/word layout
f) various bits of tuning not in the original source code to greatly
improve the performance. Compare framerates on powerpc with version 1.0
to current.
g) A dual re-licensing by the original author. Libmpeg was GPL (NOT
LGPL). With Andrew Greenberg's help  the squeak community was granted a
dual licence on that code (one being the Squeak licence, the other
LGPL).
h) updates to the C files to reflect the licence change in the headers.
i) Some work was done on the mmx intel side by some squeak folks
because of compiler issues.
k) Support for mpeg tags

I would think you could carry forward any fixes. However I wonder about
grabbing entire new source files because of license issues?
Running a compare and suggesting alterations for performance and fixes
to the squeak tree could be a first starting  point.

I notice the decss stuff is still there, but the ac-3 stuff is now a
GPL library for ATSC A/52 streams from Dolby. Someone could pursue
different license terms I'd guess....

  * LibMPEG3