Monticello dependency handling

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sun Feb 15 22:01:42 UTC 2004

On Feb 15, 2004, at 8:19 AM, Lex Spoon wrote:

> I would like to toss out that, even though Linux guys often *can*
> reference particular versions of a Linux package, they rarely do.  In
> normal development, including all of three phases I will describe
> below,
> developers universally grab the newest version of a package that is
> available.

Absolutely, but I don't think that dependencies in Monticello should be
used to model relationships between packages, but rather relationships
between different parts of a single package.  Think of it more like
subdirectories within a CVS tree - you're not very likely to checkout
one version of one directory and a different version of another
directory.  Rather, you check out the entire module at once at a
certain tag.  That's what I was trying to emulate.

The problem is that right now we don't have any way to specify the kind
of dependency you're talking about, and we definitely need it - but I
believe that when we do have it, it should be SM's job, not MC's.