Binaries in Monticello

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Feb 16 22:37:01 UTC 2004

Hi david

> You're suggesting tool support then that reminds me of the VisualWorks
> StORE system...and it was not well received at all.  Just search the
> vwnc mailling list.  I don't have strong opinions on it myself but I
> believe that the detractors say that it makes one too many views
> available for the novice user.  There are probably other objections as
> well.  Would you propose, for example, another browser akin to the
> Package Pane Browser?  Personally, if StarBrowser could browse all
> components of a Package (as expressed in PackageInfo) then I would be
> pretty happy with it.  Maybe this has already been done?

In store we have packages as categories and this work well. the problem
in vW5 was that the browser could show everything
namespace/parcel/packages/ and much more totally confusing now in VW7
this is working well (even if we can talk a lot about the design of
namespaces but this is another story.
But basically I agree I would always try to reduce the number of
concepts in play