Remaining to-do items for 3.7

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Feb 17 00:15:50 UTC 2004

On Feb 16, 2004, at 4:03 PM, Ned Konz wrote:

> On Sunday 15 February 2004 3:49 pm, Brent Vukmer wrote:
>> I'd like TextFile to be considered.
>
> Me too.
>
> And I think that the Regular Expression stuff should be included as
> well.

Did we ever decide *which* regular expression stuff?

I did some benchmarking recently of Vasilli's pure Smalltalk package
vs. the PCRE plugin.  It did amazingly well - although it takes about
20x as long to compile a pattern, when actually matching the plugin
only gave about a 3x speed boost.  Given that either way we're talking
tens of thousands of matches per second for most input, I'm not sure a
plugin is really necessary.

Avi