Squeak as a windows manager ?

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Tue Feb 17 00:39:33 UTC 2004

On Friday 13 February 2004 6:41 am, C. David Shaffer wrote:
> All of this Keymapping work begs the question "How should keyboard
> shortcuts be handled, generally?".  I think that menu and button
> accelerators need to be part of any general keymapping scheme (the user
> should be able to change the menu accelerators, for example).  This
> would require some kind of "action registry" so a menu could determine
> the accelerator for a given action.

Actually, the menus themselves need to be in some kind of registry as well.

This is essential if we really want to move to a fully modular system. What
happens now is that a package that wants to extend a menu or keymapping
(other than the World menu or the FileList) has to actually override methods.
This leads to conflicts (I keep getting my menu changes clobbered by loading
other packages).

We've attacked parts of this problem with different registries:

* the World menu
* the ParagraphEditor keymappings
* the FileList handlers

but we also need to do something about (for instance) menus.
--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/