Squeak in college education

Gary Fisher gafisher at sprynet.com
Tue Feb 17 09:57:57 UTC 2004

Aaron,

The quote you cite could be -- and in hardly different form has been -- used
by college students to describe everything from Latin to literature, the
entire spectrum of which anyone who has been a college student will
eventually recognize as valuable not as an aid to employment but as
fundamental to the understanding which turns a job into a career and perhaps
a profession.

Altering Squeak merely to make it more appealing to sophomores (in any sense
of the word) makes as much sense as adding some good ol' Roman profanity to
the Latin curriculum just to spice it up a bit.  Less, in fact.  Which of
course is not to say Squeak ought not to evolve, but that its evolution
should strive toward excellence, not merely acceptance.

Gary Fisher