Squeak in college education

Alejandro F. Reimondo aleReimondo at smalltalking.net
Tue Feb 17 14:51:39 UTC 2004

Hi all!,

>It usually takes a few years of experience before
> the wisdom of including Squeak (or Chaucer, or music appreciation) in the
> curriculum becomes apparent.  That was the point of my response --
tailoring
> course materials specifically to appeal to the limited perspective of the
> students must be done with great care to avoid reducing education to mere
> training.

First of all I must say that I live in Argentina and we
 are "suffering" the effects of instruction (training)
 and poor education. [*]
Most teachers feel that they success if children knows
 how to apply a formalism (a formula, a theory or any
 object oriented/focused technique).
The effects of mere instruction is huge and examples
 of it is anywhere, in geosphere and homospere.

Now a question...
What are the most powerfull attributes of the Smalltalk Ambient
 to be exposed to people (not only childred) to teach to build
 virtual realities in a stable way (as natural development of
 open systems) ?
Do you have any material related with education in a virtual
 ambient (a.k.a smalltalk) ?

Any material, guides or comment on experiences related with
 using the object ambience in the development of open
 systems will be greatelly appreciated.

best regards,
Ale.

[*] In countries with high instruction as Argentina and devastated by the
aplication of reductionism and formalization as the main tool for solving
problems, it is *very* important to teach and learn how to construct in an
ambience preserving stalibity. The most common method employed in Smalltalk
is very promising. The ambience as a device to build open systems preserving
identity give us an opportunity to explore alternatives to reduction and
object orientation.