Squeak in college education

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Tue Feb 17 18:06:11 UTC 2004

Well, a start would be to get the students to understand the
differences that should exist between "Computer Science", "Software
Engineering", and "Commercial Hacking".

At Stanford, for example, a distressingly large part of the
undergraduate experience is really learning how to hack commercially
in JAVA. It's hard to find the other two disciplines even lurking
behind the vocational certification that is going on.

Another point about this is that for most of the existence of
universities, they have been institutions that have perspectives
about knowledge that students want to acquire. One of the biggest
implications in the old meaning of education is that you don't come
out of as you went in, plus some "knowledge in a knapsack" but that
you come out of it as a different person with a qualitatively
different set of perspectives. Over the last 50 years, and especially
with the baby boom, universities have increasingly turned themselves
into market-driven businesses and vocational trainers.

So the big questions about GaTech and other major universities have
to do with the existence of reasonable boundaries around parts of
computing knowledge, pursuits and skills, and does the university
have a theory about knowledge and learning that it is trying use to
transform students (is it worrying about retention or quality)?

Cheers,

Alan

-------