Using Monticello and SqueakSource and distributing packages

Timothy Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 18 19:09:22 UTC 2004

On Feb 17, 2004, at 2:24 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:
>> A micro-package with Object>touch that is a prerequisite for the main
>> one would presumably be one way to handle this. Or indeed putting the
>> #noteCompilation.. in a package that gets loaded after the main one.
>
> Sure, either of those would work.  Somewhere on my TODO list is a way
> to bundle up a package with all of its prereqs into a single SAR file
> so that such things are easy to distribute.  If anyone wants to
> contribute code to do this (it shouldn't be that hard) I will
> integrate it immediately.
>
>>  Or.... you mention that the mcz includes a fileout - so can a normal
>> changeset preamble/postscript be used?
>
> No, not really - or at least, MC would have to be extended to know
> about this and deal with them properly when it parses/merges/etc the
> definitions in the fileout.  I use class side #initialize methods to
> do postscript-type stuff, which seems to work ok.

Well I just opened a new image, loaded SM2 & MC, added VMMaker as a
package, opened the package-cache repository, found VMMaker, loaded it
and there was no complaint about the definition order of
InterpreterPlugin>touch. Right now I have no idea if that is good
design or dumb luck in the ordering of the methods in the filein.

Oh, one oddity - I did a diff of the working copy with the version I'd
just loaded (just to see what it did, y'know) and it tells me that the
class variables of two classes is different in some way - so far as I
can tell just in the order of one or two names. Just thought you might
like to know...

tim