Remaining to-do items for 3.7

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 18 17:29:13 UTC 2004

Marcus Denker <marcus at ira.uka.de> wrote:
> We have similar problems with packages that continue to exist, but in
> new, incompatible versions. With Package releases,
> there is the beginning of a solution for that. We need refactor the
> existing stuff to use this (e.g. not have
> "RB for 3.2" und "RB" as top-level packages).
>
> Another thing: I like is the idea to have a debian like "stable"
> "testing" "unstable" branch... it would be nice to have SqueakMap
> support for that.

Right, you beat me to it.  We can have a SqueakMap repository for each
version of Squeak.  Then, the "RB" package in 3.6 is then different from
the one for 3.7, and really we end up with multiple streams of package
development.  You can populate each new SqueakMap repository by copying
the old one.

In practice, the packages for older versions like 3.6 will just sit
there and not be updated.  But that is fine: packages in older "stable"
versions like 3.6 should not be seeing very many updates, and using an
old "unstable" version like 3.1 is silly.

-Lex