Using Monticello and SqueakSource and distributing packages

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 18 17:41:25 UTC 2004

Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2004, at 5:37 PM, Timothy Rowledge wrote:
> >  I created a
> > package, then a repository; the file dialogue confused me into
> > thinking that the {local dir}:package-cache directory was actually a
> > single file ( I think that stupid little 'finder like' dialogues of
> > that sort are a major crime against the UI ghods) so I simply chose my
> > local dir. I now have apparently identical mcz files in BOTH places ie
> >  {local dir}:VMMaker-tpr.2.mcz and {local
> > dir}:package-cache:VMMaker-tpr.mcz that were written with a single
> > 'save' button press. I'm sure that can't be what was intended. And
> > it's probably unhealthy too. Maybe even infectious.
>
> That's actually intentional - the package-cache is meant to be, well, a
> cache, and so any package you touch from any other repository gets
> written there too, and it's the first place the system looks when
> searching for something.  But I see how it could be confusing.

It sounds like the UI should be tweaked here, not the documentation.
How about giving it a good default cache setup and then leaving this
info out of the main dialogs that a new user will see?

Hide the cache settings under something like "Configuration" or
"Advanced Preferences" or "Fiddly Stuff to Twiddle if you are Bored".

-Lex