Using Monticello and SqueakSource and distributing packages

Martin Wirblat sql.mawi at t-link.de
Wed Feb 18 19:57:47 UTC 2004

Julian Fitzell <julian at beta4.com> wrote on 18.02.2004 20:13:03:

>Timothy Rowledge wrote:

>>> Look in the package-cache directory.
>>
>> Ah, now goran says 'sm', which does seem a bit more likely since
>> Avi said package-cache was a cache for MC. Have you guys considered
>> merging these into a single concept?
>>
>> Actually the package-cache thing puzzles me a touch. Why ask the
>> user for a repository location (of the local sort anyway) if it's
>> going to use package-cache anyway? What's the logic intended here?
>> I can see why having a cache of a http repository makes sense.
>
>Oh, well you might be using an NFS mounted drive or something for a
>group of people to keep a repository on the filesystem.  The
>package-cache is designed to hold a cached copy of any package you've
>seen.  You wouldn't want your cached copies of
>SomeRandomPackageOnlyYouUse to be showing up in your work's
>UsefulPackageWeSell repository.
>
>Julian

When you use images in different directories you have multiple package-
caches, and all hold different packages. If an image gets copied to a
new location after MC is installed, MC saves to the package-cache in
the other directory, otherwise it creates a new package-cache in the
local directory. This can become a real mess.

Perhaps the user should be able to choose, if and to where this
automatic double save occurs.

Regards
Martin