plugin vs FFI (was: seeking FFI tutorial)

Douglas McPherson djm1329 at san.rr.com
Wed Feb 18 21:45:27 UTC 2004

Thanks for the info. Reading the admonitions about FFI  at the link
below, I suspect that an external plugin is what I really want.

I need to call out from Squeak to an external library of functions
written in C, and I need to share data with these functions. The calls
will all be synchronous, so I don't need to worry about callbacks. Is
an external plugin, accessed by 'named primitive', the best way to do
do this? I am running MacOSX 10.3.2, but will later run also on Win or
various unixen. Which Mac VM is best/easiest to use in this case?

Seeking further enlightenment,

Douglas