Scanner tweak

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Thu Feb 19 01:07:17 UTC 2004

Ian Piumarta modified #xLetter to allow the scanner to recognize underscores within selectors, and I would like to make a plea (perhaps even offer a small bribe<g>) for its inclusion in the base system.  My model problem for "needing" underscores in selectors is connecting to the few relational databases that I use.  The databases use underscores for readability, and to help avoid name collisions.  It _really_ (or should that be :=really:=<g>) helps to have the selectors match the names.

I still think that using _ as a shortcut for the back arrow and/or := should be accomplished in the editor, not the sources. But Ian's scanner tweak gives me most of what I really need, and having it in the base would make it much more likely to be maintained as the system evolves.

This is all part of looking for an escape plan should I need to move off of Windows.  To borrow a line from Animal House, "Listen, I'm not joking.  This is my job!"

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology