[RFC] DAVServerDirectory

C. David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Thu Feb 19 16:35:35 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have a first-blush version of DAVServerDirectory (ServerDirectory but
with a WebDAV interface for publishing = no FTP needed!).  I think that
the current version will work even with non-WebDAV web servers that
support http PUT so long as you don't try to create a directory with
it.  Anyway it works great with apache/mod_dav and I use it now to
publish my project files.  You can find it here:

http://www.cs.westminster.edu/~shaffer/Squeak/

I will publish it on SM as soon as I'm am sure that there isn't already
something better out there (speak up if you've done this already!).  You
must have the HTMLParser class available (I get it when I load Scamper
but maybe it is availble separately).  Create a reference to a server as
follows:

s := DAVServerDirectory new type: #dav; yourself.
s server: 'your.server.name'.
s directory: 'path/to/the/directory'. "no leading slash!"
s url: 'http://your.server.name/path/to/the/directory'.
s user: 'yourUsername'.
ServerDirectory addServer: s named: 'SomeNameForFileList'.

It works very well for publishing projects but there are some obvious
things which need work for more general use.  I'd like to use it as an
HTTP-based remote file system but there are lots of things standing in
the way.  So much of the 3.6 image/goodies relies on file "names" rather
than ServerDirectory/FileDirectory type objects.  Many tools prompt for
textual file names and FileList handlers quite often use String file
names instead of instances of the aformentioned classes.  I don't think
that there is a syntax to specify a ServerDirectory in a file name
(ServerDirName!path/elements, for example).  Also, the base class has
become polluted with strange type checking (#isTypeFile) and redundant
state (urlObject vs server/directory).  Is there an effort underway to
improve this framework?  If so, I'd like to contribute...

David

--
C. David Shaffer
http://www.cs.westminster.edu/~shaffer