Query about Long Number Calcs and Shareability

Dr Strange rifestuff at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 19:50:44 UTC 2004

hi, I'm new to squeak, have been recopmmended to check out your lingo for a project I'm working on,
could you or someone comment / provide feedback on the below outlined?
thanks!
---------
hey jeff - thanks for the heads up - will check this out.Heres my situation currently however, have been coding in older versions of Windows dev language (such as VB and Delphi), am hoping to find a method to do long number calculation - to build formula wise into the existing code (even if the method inline is awkward or cumbersome formula wise and takes time to code). If the lingo you mentioned can be compiled into a DLL that is shareable and usable by my current code then I'm ecstatic!  If not - any other ideas?
Again - Jeff, many thanks for your response!
sincerely
Jeff Sutherland <jeff.sutherland at computer.org> wrote:
The best way to do long number calculation is to go to www.squeak.org and download an open source Smalltalk compiler. This language has always supported long number calculations. It was designed for use by children and many computing experts still consider it the best computer language ever created including the Imagineering team at Disney that supports the language.
Jeff Sitherland

------
Question: Needing to work with frequencies of very large Hz numeric values - i.e. 60 to 120 digits long, for computation in software how is this done?  I need to be able to perform calc operations beyond normal software programming language / manual standard, scientific calculator capabilities, any ideas?  For more info on this see below;
-----------
example of tool that DOES do this, but I dont want to use hypercard.....
Long Numbers HyperCard stack.  worked with some very long whole > numbers. This stack can handle numbers with as many as 87 digits. It > will add, subtract, divide, multiply, mod and Square Root numbers of > the same length! Will not round off decimals. Reduces results to Least > Common Denomiators. Very fast. Very useful for doing vibration physics > calculations where accuracy is important. Requires HyperCard 2.*
Sorry, the code writer has given up computers altogether and won't discuss anything. Your best bet may be to acquire an older Mac (system 9.2 or earlier). This stack will run on any older Mac (not the new ones). These can be had for as little as $100.
hey... is there any one you might recommend I ask?
>Would it be ok to query whoever wrote that hypercard
>stack - is that ok? If so, couldyou direct me to them? >
------
Hi, Thank you for visiting. I did not write the code in the Long Numbers stack so I cannot advise you. I know Mathematica can handle long numbers but Mathematica is quite expensive. using common Windows based programming languages but I cannot get them to calculate properly long numbers. On your website you have a hypercard  stack that can do exactly what I need to do. I have variables that range from 65 to 180 digits long. Unable to use hypercard stack, even though it > is so reasonably prices and I also do not have access to mac systems  or hypercard. I was hoping to ask your advice, could you describe how one may divide a number of say 90 digits by a two digit number accurately without losing decimals? I am hoping to come up with a formula I can use and code into the software I'm developing. If you're able to explan a workable process or even point me in the right direction, would > appreciate it.  I've included below the description of the hyper card stack referenced  from your
site.