Squat crash on winXP

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Fri Feb 20 03:33:06 UTC 2004

Hi PhiHo--

> <CRASH.DMP smallest.image on headless.exe>

	Currently, "smallest" and "working" will both crash unless there is a
server for them to speak to (e.g., an instance of Sorcerer in the
"control" snapshot). "smallest" speaks a different (older) object
serialization protocol than "control" does, so the only way to do
anything with it is in the virtual machine simulator. I mention this on
the Squat release site.

> P.S: To generate smallest.image,
> 	ren smallest.image smallest.image.bz2
>	winunrar smallest.image.bz2

	That's the VM's job... this is another clue that headless.exe is not
meant to run smallest.image. :)

>	resulted in smallest.image of 207KB
>	The original smallest.image was 92KB.
>	Just a bit of trick from the sorcerer ;-)

	I already mentioned this in detail in a previous progress message,
http://www.netjam.org/pipermail/squat_netjam.org/2003-July/000021.html

> BTW, I hope you can find some time to put a Squat package on SM. This would be very
> helpful for those who want to review Squat.

	People might think it's something they can install and run with a
mainstream release; it's not. The most helpful thing for me would be for
people to review what I've provided on the Squat website. Is there a
precedent for SqueakMap packages which make inherently fundamental
changes to the virtual machine (as opposed to just a plugin)?

> PPS: Latest news, latest control.image on Feb 19 is broken. No crash
> but output console was open with many messages for a little while
> then Squeak self terminated.

	I cannot duplicate this (on win98, I don't have winXP). I suggest
rebooting, deleting all Squat bits, and starting over. :)

	thanks again,

-C

--
Craig Latta