Apple fonts in 3.7?

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Fri Feb 20 05:39:08 UTC 2004

On Thursday, February 19, 2004, at 08:48 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> The punctuation characters in the default font are *really* off - just
> look
> at ":=" and watch how bad the weight, the spacing, and the match of the
> characters are. Really, the default font is unusable for programming (I
> actually spent a couple of minutes trying to find an extra single-quote
> which crept in before I wanted to get the NY font back). If anything
> let's
> at least have a code font that's usable for programming!

I agree that the weight/spacing problems in the punctuation characters
are pretty severe.

But this shouldn't be *too* hard to fix with some tweaking, as Duane
suggested.  If we could at least fix the Accuny font (the default code
font), I think we'd be okay for 3.7.

If anyone's interested in helping with this, try using Boris Gaertner's
MorphicFontEditor package to edit & save the fonts:
http://www.bgaertner.gmxhome.de/MorphicFontEditor.1.cs.gz

Hmm, although one additional problem which should be fixed is that
Accuny-9 and Accuny-10 both have the same "size" (of 9 I think), which
causes problems for the font editor.  (And this also makes the line
spacing the same for both fonts, which seems wrong anyway... the larger
font should take up more vertical space.)

>> Now, there were also the Comic bitmap fonts which were removed, which
>> did not really have a close equivalent in the Accufonts... you may be
>> referring more to these. (The replacement used for these was Accujen,
>> which is at least sans-serif.)
>
> Whoever decided to use that replacement most certainly never used eToys
> (which is the only place where it was consistently used). Well,
> somehow it
> figures...

Yeah, I'm not sure what to do about that.  It's sort of tempting to
just add the Comic font back in, since it doesn't really cause any
problems related to Squeak-L.  Just a matter of whether we want
non-free-but-maybe-still-legal fonts in the release.

- Doug