shrinking, Squat engineering (was "Squat crash on winXP")

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Fri Feb 20 17:55:08 UTC 2004

Hi PhiHo--

> Current major shrink need MVC to work, with remote shrinking that
> MVC head can be chopped off as well.

	Right, that's just what I did. You can see some of the methods I ran to
do that in class Apprentice.

> To be really useful, IMHO, Squat should be ported to mainstream.

	No, to be really useful, Squat should *become* the mainsream. :)

> This should be easy enough, just file in your changeset for the
> interpreter into 3.7 image and generate the interp.c then build the
> VM. Did I miss something ?

	Just the fact that very few people bother to do this. :)  For those who
do, I think the Squat release site is sufficient.

> Do control.image, working.image have all the fixes and especially
> all the cleaning updates that are in 3.7?

	No, most of the subsystems they affect have been *removed*. :)  I think
you're slightly missing the point here. :)  Almost all of those fixes
are things that one would load as modules; they're not needed just to
start the system. Squat is about only having what's needed to start the
system and load modules.

> Do they have support for package?

	They have support for live modules, which is still a work in progress.
There is currently no support for SqueakMap.

> I love to load a package loader and SM into the minimal.image ;-)

	Sure! Please write a module that enables that.

	thanks again,

-C

--
Craig Latta