Apple fonts in 3.7?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Feb 21 03:05:08 UTC 2004

On Feb 20, 2004, at 10:26 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> you can see that the original NY font actually spaces the punctuation
> characters evenly whereas AccuNY (consistently) doesn't. Note however,
> that
> the spacing within the AccuNY family is perfectly consistent and
> really I
> don't like the idea very much to screw around with it. It's obviously
> an
> intentional choice of the font designer - I just happen not to like it
> ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

As I said first I was assuming like others that some conversion issues
lead to these problems. But I took a step back earlier today and
thought for
a second about the assumptions here, so I grabbed a few screen pictures.

If the tiff file makes the list
The first font line in the tiff  is the 'New York' font from Squeak
The second is the AccuNY
The third is the Apple New York font  noted as 3.5 2000 Mac OS 9.2.1
Copyright 1990-99 Apple Computer Inc.

However I'm going to check a system 7.5.5 machine and see if the font
is different, since AccuFonts where based on the visuals from an
a Apple font file from the late 80's

As Duane pointed out some changes were made, like shift-6 up arrow, but
if you look you'll see some other difference with spacing, such
how the # character is in the Apple New York, and I'd guess kerning
issues like the az and @#. Of course note how the letter L was altered
for Squeak.

So with Boris's morphic font editor what I'd suggest is we setup a wiki
page
and identify the AccuNY type sizes and allow someone to claim a size,
then use the tool to compare each character and make it look the
same as the old Squeak "New York" font. Thus preserving the same look
and feel as the old font so we don't have conversion issues. Then
reassemble a revised version. The issue isn't make it look like Apple's
New York, rather making it look like Squeak's "New York"

PS I'm afraid I can't participate much this weekend since my wife and
family hasn't seen me for three weeks and doing computer stuff isn't
acceptable right now.