X display plugin.

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Feb 21 16:21:14 UTC 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 12:07:36AM -0500, Alan Grimes wrote:
> David T. Lewis wrote:
> >On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 04:30:08PM -0500, Alan Grimes wrote:
> >

> >>I did finally figure out how to make cvs update get the Xdisplay plugin
> >>directories but I still get this build error:
> >
> >Try telling VMMaker to build the XDisplayControlPlugin as an external
> >plugin. I think what is happening here is that the VM code for the X
> >display is now living in an external module vm-display-X11.so. This VM
> >module contains variables and functions that the XDisplayControlPlugin
> >is trying to link to. When you build the plugin internally, it does not
> >know how to find these references in the external vm-display-X11.so.
> >Or something like that. Anyway, try building it external and see if
> >it takes care of the problem for you.
>
> Yep, that did it.
> This would seem to suggest that VMMaker should be enhanced to resist
> allowing the X display plugin to be built internal...

Well, as far as I know XDisplayControlPlugin is the only plugin with
that sort of restriction, and since I wrote it I guess it's not entirely
fair to expect Tim to fix it for me. For now I've just documented the
problem on the swiki <http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3350>. Thanks
for pointing this out.

Dave