[SM2] Determining package collisions

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Sun Feb 22 20:23:09 UTC 2004

On Sunday 22 February 2004 10:53 am, Chris Muller wrote:
> In trying to get Scamper going in 3.7.  The SM entry says,
>
>   "Before installing this package, you must install:
>      - SARInstaller
>      - FlapsRegistry
>      - AppRegistry
>      - Scamper Removal
>
>   (If you're running Squeak 3.6, you've already got all of those things.)"
>
> I'm running 3.7a, so I'm not sure whether I already have those things.  I
> could install them, just to be sure.  But SARInstaller has separate
> versions for 3.2 and 3.4.  I wondered whether there has been a code-stream
> update since then that would get overlaid.

Yes. SARInstaller is part of the current 3.7a, so you don't have to install
it.

Likewise the registry classes.

> A more general question is, and please forgive me if it's already been
> asked, do our package-mangement tools (SM2, Monticello, etc.) support
> package browsing and comparison to the current image?

Yes. Monticello does, at least; the PackageInfo-Extras package adds additional
support for these tasks.

> Perhaps this is more of a SM2 question, because Monticello seems to support
> seeing "Changes" for comparing the "working copy" (in the image?) to what's
> in the repository.

Right.

> Can I compare what I'm about to load from SM2 with the working copy (or
> even know if I *have* a working copy installed)?

Yes, go to the PackageLoader, and open the menu, and check 'display installed
packages', and uncheck 'display new or newer packages'. This will show you
what SM2 thinks is in your image.

You can (if you have the new PackageInfo stuff loaded) also do 'PackageList
open' and see the registered packages.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/