[ENH] SoundSystemCleanup-gk ( [er][et] needs a little work )

ken at kencausey.com ken at kencausey.com
Mon Feb 23 17:11:16 UTC 2004

Some comments:

The preamble comment needs some fixing to properly credit Adam (fixing
the Author: field).  Also it would help if Adam's comment were more
clearly delineated.  As it is it isn't clear what Adam said and what
Goran said.  Also note that all of the entries in this changeset have
the initals 'gk'.

System-Applications does not seem like the right class category for
AbstractSoundSystem, SoundSystem, and BadSoundSystem to me.  I would
suggest something like Base-Sound-Synthesis to differentiate it from
Sound-Synthesis which would include GoodSoundSystem.  Also Good and Bad
don't seem right.  Maybe MinimalSoundSystem and FullSoundSystem?
Although Full seems like a bit of a strong statement.  Perhaps
FundamentalSoundSystem?  *shrug*

On the subject of SoundSystem:  this sure sounds like an abstract base
class of GoodSoundSystem and BadSoundSystem to me.  Why not
SoundSystemRegistry?  Too long?

Why recommend the use of Beeper>>beepPrimitive in Object>>beep?  And why
use it over Beeper>>beep in BadSoundSystem>>beep?  Is it not good policy
whenever possible to hide primtive methods and treat them as private and
to access them through facade methods?

Hmm.  As you say it's not clear what
BadSoundSystem>>randomBitsFromSoundInput: should do.  Clearly it can't
do the desired job. I see that DigitalSignatureAlgorithm is designed to
catch an error.  How about a more communicative one than
shouldNotImplement?  Error signal: 'Cannot provide random data'?
Perhaps DigitalSignatureAlgorithm should be changed to catch a more
specific Error subclass in which case that should be thrown.

What is the value of Beeper>>play?  Why the extra level of indirection?
Part of a protocol?

Back on the subject of Beeper>>beepPrimtive:  Why even have this method?
 Consider Beeper class>>beepPrimitive private and use it directly in any
places that the methods of Beeper need to generate a beep directly.

Why file in BadSoundSystem>>#shutdown and then remove it in the last
doit?

My development system does not currently have sound system support.   So
my ability to actually test this is very limitted.  I did file it into a
3.7a-5707 image in which sound had been disabled.  What should
Beeper>>beep do?  I assume I should still hear a system beep.  I do not.
 And I know the system beep works because for some reason I hear it
every time SM2 downloads a new map snapshot.

<This post brought to you by BFAV2>