Apple fonts in 3.7?

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Mon Feb 23 17:57:58 UTC 2004

Timothy Rowledge wrote:

>> By the way, when we actually incorporate these, I'm not sure how many
>> of the default fonts should be set to these antialiased fonts, if
>> any.  For actual code text, I would tend to stick with a
>> non-antialiased, crisp, non-fuzzy font. :-)
>
> The apparent default 9 point is pretty badly fuzzed because it is so
> small that there is little chance for anything other than grey fluff.
> 12 works a great deal better for my eyes and screen. 11 is ok but 10
> starts to fuzz, It's _so_ much nicer than the small bitmap fonts. The
> only fault is our old friend the assign arrow which of course would
> need changing if we were to use the vera fonts as defaults.

Agreed that the Vera fonts look great at medium-larger sizes but too
fuzzy at smaller sizes.  I guess that's just the nature of antialiased
fonts without hinting.  Anyway, that's why I was thinking that the
window titlebar font would be a good one to have set to a Vera font by
default, since the titlebar requires a somewhat larger font.  Also, the
titlebar is more of a "headline" usage of a font rather than text usage,
so a sans-serif font (BitstreamVeraSans) would probably be appropriate.

Also, our old friend the assign arrow shouldn't show up too often in
window titlebars...

- Doug