[ENH] SoundSystemCleanup-gk

Raymond Asselin raymondasselin at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 24 03:18:59 UTC 2004

This is the text Stephane Ducasse sent in mai 2003 when beginning to
work with Beeper...It this can help to understand what was the issue.
================
Here is what we propose for removing beep from Object. I would like to
have your feedback.

Object subclass: #Beeper
    instanceVariableNames: ''
    classVariableNames: ''
    poolDictionaries: ''
    category: 'System-Support'!

!Beeper commentStamp: 'sd 5/17/2003 13:04' prior: 0!
I'm a simple object been responsible to provide an audible feedback.
However, the feedback can be change by using my class side method
setDefault: with an object understanding the message play.

So you can invoke Beeper as follow

    Beeper default beep
    Beeper default play

But the idiom is really Beeper beep

Note that play is introduced to propose a common interface between
AbstractSound and Beeper.
This way we can have more enhanced beepers doing the following:

SampleSound class>>initialize
    "SampledSound initialize"

    IncrementFractionBits _ 16.
    IncrementScaleFactor _ 2 raisedTo: IncrementFractionBits.
    ScaledIndexOverflow _ 2 raisedTo: 29.  "handle overflow before
needing
LargePositiveIntegers"
    self useCoffeeCupClink.
    SoundLibrary ifNil: [SoundLibrary _ Dictionary new].
    Beeper setDefault: (self new
                        setSamples: self coffeeCupClink
                        samplingRate: 12000)).

Then Beeper beep will play the coffeeCup sound.

For my part I had a look in BFAV to the SoundSystemCleanup-gk.  I didn¹t
know how to just add this comment within BFAV, the choices in the
Reviewer Notepad don¹t seem to allow it...so...cameback to Mailing...

The time I spent to load everything ...BFAV installer...Refactory
Browser..etc..... and to load 19488 posts....and looking how to operate
BFAV....and having a taste of SoundSystemCleanup...and the time I had is
gone.... But next time will be snappier I hope.

Ray