OS X carbon VM network slowness

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Feb 25 07:05:39 UTC 2004

I noticed today for the second time a severe speed difference between
the Carbon VM and unix VM when acting as a network client on Mac OS X.
The first case was when connecting to a PostgreSQL database using the
PostgreSQL Client package.  The second was when connecting to a GOODS
server using my GOODS client code.  In both cases, each individual
request/response interaction with the (localhost) server would take an
extra half second or so when using the Carbon VM, which makes it
effectively unusable.  I've been unable to find an easy to reproduce
minimal case that demonstrates this, but it's really obvious any time
you try to use either of those packages, so I thought I'd bring it up
in case anyone has any ideas.