[BFAV] "Couldn't delete old version of file" exception revisited

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at rnid.org.uk
Wed Feb 25 13:45:20 UTC 2004

A long time ago, I posted this:

> > I'm not really sure if this is a bug or me being silly: I sometimes get
> > error messages when clicking on posts in BFAV2 saying things like
"Couldn't
> > delete old version of file". The file in question is the "latest.zip".
I've
> > made the problem go away by deleting the file in question by hand. Is
this
> > an appropriate workaround?

To which Brent (after some discussion) replied
> Thanks for the extra details.  Sorry about the slow response.  I've
> tried recreating this bug, but haven't succeeded yet.

I _think_ that this might be how to reliably reproduce the problem:
# Open up BFAV
# Save and quit your image with BFAV still open
# Make sure that other people submit posts to BFAV
# Open up your image
# Load updates.

At this point latest.zip can't be deleted and an exception gets raised. Now
if I close BFAV and save & quit the image, delete latest.zip (*) and then
restart the image & re-open BFAV, the problem disappears.

(*) I'm not certain this step is necessary.

Could this be because the latest.zip file is still open, and so can't be
deleted?

I run into this often, because I usually leave BFAV open when I
save-and-quit.

frank