Apple fonts in 3.7?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 25 16:34:53 UTC 2004

> > Say, guys isn't there any interested student out there who wants to spend a
> > bit of time taking that auto-hinting C code and implement it in Squeak? It
> > seems a shame to have a whole big-bang library for the sole purpose of some
> > code which is probably less than a 20k CS when written in Squeak.
>
> Perhaps. Still, there's more to freetype2 than just the hinting and rendering;
> there's also font management, font file reading and writing, etc.
>
> For instance, it can handle Postscript Type 1, TrueType, BDF, PCF, various
> bitmap fonts, etc.

In addition, I get the impression that the autohinter is a bit of black
art that is still being tweaked.  If we can use the library as it is, we
will automatically get any improvements the freetype people make.

Besides, I could think of better places to spend 20k worth of coding
effort, unless there's someone around here who is just really into
fonts!

> libfreetype2 on my system is about 437K.

Well that's a downer.  But it's not unreasonable.

-Lex