enhanced IRC (was Re: Reminder: Harvesting Party TODAY 16:00 GMT)

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Fri Feb 27 23:47:02 UTC 2004

Frank Caggiano wrote:

> Marcus Denker wrote:
>

>> Keep in mind that the code of SqueakSource is the IRC-Code of 3.6. So
>> we need to add the EnhIRC changes
>> first.
>>
>> And Ned posted some code, too. And Brent did some work ...
>>
>> It would be nice to have a real maintainer for the IRC package (I
>> personaly won't have time to actually put
>> any work into this).
>

> Ok (taking  a deep breath) I'll volunteer to be the maintainer or
> second  maintainer or whatever on IRC/EnhancedIRC. I think I've
> figured out enough of monticello to do this.

Sounds great, Frank!  Whatever you do as maintainer, *please* make sure
the version on SqueakMap is in reasonable working order. (which it is
currently not, or at least EnhancedIRC isn't)  Even if the latest &
greatest is maintained on SqueakSource or somewhere else, SqueakMap is
still the defacto place that newcomers will go to get it.

So, I guess this also means that you should get yourself added as
another co-maintainer to the IRC package.  (Better yet, take over as
lead maintainer if that's what everyone agrees on.)  If you do decide to
combine IRC & EnhancedIRC (which seems like a good idea), make sure that
it's obvious to newbies using SM which one they want, and mark the other
one as obsolete.

- Doug