[RFC] Dropping a Morph into a World starts the Morph stepping

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Feb 28 16:58:07 UTC 2004

Ned Konz <ned at squeakland.org> wrote:
> In the new Connectors I've stopped using #step altogether, since it's also
> used by eToys to step scripts. I use a different method for my own private
> stepping, which isn't affected by all these startStepping calls.
>
> That is, I use:
>
> 	self startStepping: #someSelector at: scheduledTime arguments: args stepTime:
> stepTime

Right.  With this approach the whole ball of yarn hangs together well,
IMHO.  #step is for simple things that are supposed to happen all the
time, and there are a few caveats to using it:

	1. You should not expect it to especially well honor its timing
requirement.

	2. You should be prepared for it to start back up at any time.

In fact, #1 is true for all step methods.  Do your own timing.

-Lex