file locking primitive

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Jan 5 03:52:09 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 04:37:35PM -0800, Julian Fitzell wrote:
> This has come up before but we need the file locking primitive in Squeak
> to support our work in OmniBase.  There has been enough interest in this
> in the past that I think it's worthwhile coming up with a primitive
> interface that is implementable in all the common VMs.

FYI in case anyone else is working on this, I've just added file locking
primitives to the Unix OSProcessPlugin and written some test cases using
cooperating Squeak processes sharing locks on a file. I'm emulating the
locking behavior of Win32 file locks (I think) using a file lock registry
in the Squeak image.  It all seems to work fine, although the Win32
emulation only makes sense within a single Squeak image (two cooperating
images do not know about each other's registries), so I don't know if
this is really a good idea or not.

Anyway, Christmas holiday is over so I probably won't get it cleaned up
and released on Squeak Map until next weekend. If anyone needs a copy
sooner just let me know.

Dave