New to Squeak

Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Jan 6 01:00:19 UTC 2004

On 05/01/04 15:54, "Adrian Cooper - Weft Hand" <adrian at wefthand.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I hope this is the right place for my questions?  I apologise in advance if
> it is not.  I am new to programming, I have dabbled with php server side
> scripting and Liberty Basic.  Next month I am due to start a 9 month course
> with the Open University, "M206 - Computing: An Object Oriented Approach"
> The language we will be using is Smalltalk.  I am just about getting my head
> around the whole OOP concept, but still have a way to go.
>
> I downloaded Squeak a couple of weeks ago (ver 3.6) and I am utterly
> fascinated by it but also find the interface and the myriad of tools a bit
> daunting.  I have been playing with it, but seem to be getting nowhere very
> fast.  My questions are:
>
> Are there any good tutorials on the web about Squeak 3.6, assuming that the
> user has little or no programming experience?
>
> Are there any good books about Squeak that could be recommended?
>
> Are there any mailing lists or forums specifically for Squeak novices?
>
> Are the attachments from the list updates?  If so, how do I use them?  Do
> they pertain to ver 3.6.
>
> I have used Google, but Getting hold of specific Squeak information is a bit
> hit and miss.  I really would like to learn a lot more about Squeak, any
> help would be appreciated.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Adrian Cooper

Adrian:

You get now excellent advices on books and Internet material, and sure this
list are the most helpful with all .
http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/cs2340/ is a place where you could find material
about Mark Guzdial courses.
And his books still are the only Squeak specific (until some list member
publish)
tutorials  in http://ar.geocities.com/edgardec2001/Welcome.html
Most material is in Spanish , but some members can understand English (not
as bad as me).

Most members are not qualified long time programmers , only students like
you.

I said start little and grow, plan some simple game and do it in Squeak.
And what you get in trouble, email again.

Because you open the Pandora box, enjoy hope.

Edgar