[BUG] FileList does not rename and does not delete some files

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Tue Jan 6 23:20:33 UTC 2004

Ned Konz <ned at squeakland.org> wrote:
To: <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
Cc: Boris Gaertner <Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 8:54 PM
Subject: Re: [BUG] FileList does not rename and does not delete some files

> On Tuesday 06 January 2004 11:41 am, Boris Gaertner wrote:
>
> > I think that I can say that files with suffixes '.cs' and '.st'
> > are not deleted. Interestingly enough, you cannot rename
> > such files with the FileList. However, when you rename
> > a '.cs' file with the Windows explorer (and give it a
> > different suffix, say  'txt') , you can delete it with the
> > filelist.
>
> Are these files open somehow? Some versions of Windows
> won't let you delete or  rename open files.

This was a good hint! (It is seemingly so obvious, but
somebody has to say it) Thank you a lot.
I found that two services have argumentGetter blocks
that open a file in read-only mode. You find these in
 FileContentsBrowser class>>serviceBrowseCode
 ChangeList class>>serviceBrowseChangeFile

The blocks are evaluated in SimpleServiceEntry>>
getArgumentsFrom:  and getArgumentsFrom:
is sent in
MenuMorph>>addServices2:for:extraLine:

To see that the argument getter blocks are evaluated,
when you call up the menu, you can put a  self halt.
into the blocks.
For a quick test, I removed the statements from the
blocks and I was then able to rename and to delete
the files that I could not previously rename or delete.

What shall we do with the services and the argument getters?
Advice from the creators of the services concept is
welcome.

> > For now, my questions to the community are:
> > 1. Can you reproduce this bug on a windows platform?

Well, I think now that you can reproduce this bug
on an windows machine

> > 2. Can you reproduce this bug on other platforms?
>
> Not on Linux.
This is interesting, but dont ask why Linux is different.

Thank you again, Ned, and have a nice day

Boris