[ENH][TEST] ClassBuilder format tests

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Jan 7 07:45:28 UTC 2004

On 7 janv. 04, at 08:12, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> I dunno - the majority of people are not going to want those tests
> most of the time.  The only people who really need them are people
> hacking on the core image itself, not users of it.

Do you think that tests on integers, strings, collections are really
useless?

> I don't feel that strongly, but every time something like this comes
> up it seems we eventually agree we're trying to *limit* the number of
> things being pushed out the update stream.  It's only a few clicks to
> install the tests and it's easily done for those who want them.  Those
> who don't are never going to run them anyway, so we don't gain
> anything by forcing them out there.

I disagree,  consider tests as documentation. You do not want a newbie
to load a test package. It should be there. Tests are cheap in space,
easy to remove and we can remove these is less that few clicks.
There are so few people taking care of tests that we should make their
life easy. Because you see if the test would be in the image
then boris would have just been able to publish in three minutes a new
test. And not have to load the testpackage.....
Now I have to check if this is a method or a new test case....boring
boring boring.

I spent enough time on that.

Stef