Berserk idleLoop in event handling?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Jan 9 19:22:51 UTC 2004

On Jan 8, 2004, at 9:00 PM, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> at that stage. The problem for me is that if primRelinquish or
> primGetNext Event are not called _very_ frequently then my machine and
> all the applications on it is DEADDEAD. To have a decently working
> machine I need wimp_poll() called hundreds or better yet thousands of
> time a second. Maybe I should investigate having a vm ticker trigger it
> even if the image doesn't.

Tim, have you looked at doing something in the millisecond clock call?
In the past I've thought of that because it gets called a lot as a
result of all the clock watching that happens all over the place either
from the VM, or from Smalltalk code. Lately I've consider added a
heartbeat call
to checkForInterrupts, then again that does call the millisecond clock
too.

I've looked into this area because of issues with aioPoll() and how
socket interrupts are serviced, if you recall there was
concern last fall about how fast the mac carbon vm services socket
listen events for seaside.

===